Monday, August 4, 2008

WORD

I feel like when I have the chance to blog lately it is to just get something up and not very reflective or profound. I am just trying to keep up some days with everything, ok most days I am just trying to keep up. That is why laundry is unfolded, dishes are dirty and toys have taken over the house. But I continue to learn that it's ok to set that all aside to just be with God each day. Today I read some words from a couple authors that I enjoy and I wanted to share some of it - so I'm not being profound they are - but the words were good and true.

"I, who live by words, am wordless when
I try my words in prayer. All language turns
To silence. Prayer will take my words and then
Reveal their emptiness. The stilled voice learns
To holds its peace, to listen with the heart
To silence that is joy, is adoration.
The self is shattered, all words torn apart
In this strange patterned time of contemplation
That, in time, breaks time, breaks words, breaks me.
And then, in silence, leaves me healed and mended.
I leave, returned to language, for I see
Through words, even when all words are ended.
I, who live by words, am wordless when
I turn me to the Word to pray. Amen.

Madeleine L'Engle, The Weather of the Heart, p.60

No comments: