Friday, March 21, 2008

seder meal





our house church has a tradition on the thursday before easter to have a passover seder meal. so we look at the symbolism from the Jewish Passover and reflect on it's connection with Jesus' death and resurrection. it is a story of deliverance, freedom, redemption, and thanksgiving connected to the story from Exodus and the Israelites being freed from slavery and our own freedom from the slavery of sin. It is such a rich connection of stories and amazing to reflect on how God set up his story from Israel, many many years ago to our story today. The images and weaving together of the first passover with our own need for freedom were real as we drank from the cup and ate bitter herbs, unleavened bread, parsley dipped in salt water, and lamb.
" I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians, I will deliver you from slavery. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm, I will take you as my people and be your God." Exd. 6:6-7
Such a clear connection to how Jesus stretched out his arms for me, for us, and took me as his own and is my God. Then in John Jesus says
"If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Truly, truly, I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed." John8:31-34

last night was a time to pause and remember what Christ has done for me, for everyone, and to celebrate and thank God for the grace and peace and life he has given. we have faith that he continues to work and that all creation groans for the final redemption and the fullness of his kingdom. happy easter friends and we pray you experience true freedom in Christ!

1 comment:

Karsten Family said...

very cool guys! thanks for sharing this!

lisa